The radiometric-capable FLIR Lepton 2.5 is a long-wave infrared (LWIR) thermal imaging core that builds upon its non-radiometric 2.0 predecessors. Lepton 2.5 can output a factory-calibrated temperature value for all 4800 pixels in a frame irrespective of the camera temperature with an accuracy of +/-5˚C. Developers have long sought this feature and until now have had to go through very arduous computing and physical processes to make Lepton 2.0 adequately radiometric. With Lepton 2.5, radiometry just works out of the box.
Just like Lepton 2.0, the 2.5 core has a resolution of 80x60 pixels in an 8.5 x 11.7 x 5.6 mm package - it will fit into the same socket as Lepton 2.0 and existing Lepton 2.0 hardware will support 2.5 but firmware will likely need updating to utilize radiometry. As with Lepton 2.0, the 2.5's frame rate is 9 Hz with a spectral response wavelength range of 8 - 14 microns (nominal). It can be purchased for under $200 in single quantities. Looking for more pixels? The new Lepton 3.0 is now available in our store with twice the resolution as 2.x cores (but it is not radiometric).
Try our new GetThermal GUI App to command and control any Lepton using a PureThermal 1 on macOS & Linux. Screenshot below:
- Thermal sensitivity <50 mK
- Spectral Response: 8 - 14 microns (nominal) Long Wave Infrared (LWIR)
- Resolution: 80h x 60v pixels
- Pixel Size: 17 micrometers
- Frame Rate: 9 Hz.
- Output Format: User-selectable 14-bit, 8-bit (AGC applied), or 24-bit RGB (AGC and colorization applied)
- Horizontal Field of View (HFOV): 51°
- Size: 8.5 x 11.7 x 5.6 mm
- Required Digital Interfaces: I2C for command and control register get/set, SPI for image frame grab
- Required System Voltages: 1.2 V Core, 2.8 V Sensor, I/O tolerant from 2.5 V to 3.1 V
- Power Consumption: 150 mW typical, 650 mW during shutter event
- Get it Now!
50 degree Lepton DOF/Distance test
Essential Resources for the Radiometric 50° FLIR Lepton 2.5
Consumer Products Powered by Lepton
-The PureThermal 1 with Radiometric FLIR Lepton 2.5 with Y16 firmware requires specialized software to work such as GetThermal.
-In order to do do radiometry with the Radiometric FLIR Lepton 2.5, Y16 firmware is required. Y16 firmware requires specialized software to work such as GetThermal.
-For those wishing to apply possible future updates or load custom firmware themselves, we created a JTAG adapter board which can be purchased here. This adapter will also allow you to do more advanced debugging of PT1 along with faster flashing. Please note that firmware upgrades through DFU mode do not work reliably and are no longer supported on the PT1.