All E-series PTUs run the firmware image and command set. Because of
the differences between the PTUs, there are some minor difference in
commanding the units.
- Positioning commands are done in steps. Because the
resolution (angle/step) changes with model and step mode, a pan
position of 1000 will result in different angles.
- The E46 has ‘Classic Vanes’; The D47, D48E, D100E and D300E
have ‘Snap To Vanes’. The vane is used in the homing/reset routing.
Classic Vanes require sweeping through the entire range of motion. Snap
To Vanes go directly to the home position and do a little dance.
Because Snap To Vanes don’t sweep the entire range of motion, the reset
time is significantly faster. There are a handful of commands specific
to Classic Vanes. These commands are not available on units with Snap
- In the E46, the head and controller are separate pieces.
FLIR offers 3 different gear configurations for the E46 head. All head
configurations will work with the same controller. This means that the
gear ratio can`t be known on the E46 until it is reset. This can cause
some anomalous responses prior to the first reset since power up.
- There are additional commands on pan tilt units with the
Inertial Stabilization Module (ISM). The E46 and D47 do not have an ISM
- The E46 and D47 have Compatibility Mode enabled by default.
See “Tech Note 35 – Compatibility Mode” for details.